Shelby County United Way
SCUW Logo

A Message from our Executive Director, Scott S. BarrMr Scott Barr, Executive Director of the Shelby County United Way

Dear Shelby County Friends,

Thank your for visiting our Shelby County United Way website. As we start 2015, it is important to see the impact made in the community during 2014. First and Foremost, we achieved goal raising just over $1,320,000 from a very generous community. This allowed for the funding of 27 agencies and programs.

2014 was an exciting and impactful year for the Shelby County United Way. After many months of planning, an afterschool collaboration between the Salvation Army, Sidney-Shelby County YMCA, Shelby County Counseling Center, and R.S.V.P. began. This was a direct response from the Community Wide Needs Assessment, and today 35-45 youth are served daily at the center.

P.O.W.E.R., the United Way’s Women’s Initiative, continues to grow more in members and impact to the community. They continue to care for their charter project, The Born Learning Trail located at Tawawa Park. They partnered with Wilson Memorial Hospital to Host a Women and Wellness Event to discuss the importance of preventative screenings and tour the renovated Francis Women’s Center. In addition, they partnered with Alpha Community Center and the Shelby County Courts to purchase plants and gardening tools for the Community Garden.

The Shelby County United Way, with the Community Service Council, hosted a well-attended Poverty Simulation in the fall. The simulation offered human service providers and corporate leaders in the community an opportunity to experience the challenges of living in poverty and attempting to work their way out of poverty. The goal is to offer Bridges Out of Poverty two times a year, starting in the Spring of 2015.
In early December, I had the opportunity to tour a homeless shelter in Champaign County with the Mayor of Sidney, a Shelby County Commissioner, and two community Leaders. The Mayor is holding a homeless forum in January 2015 of which I will participate and keep the board aware of current needs in the community.

The Shelby County Drug Free Coalition was awarded a grant to fund the strategic planning process that will carry over to spring 2015. The group of dedicated Community, Education, Civic, and Law Enforcement leaders will be meeting bi-weekly to assess and address substance abuse in Shelby County.
During 2014, the staff and I were engaged and involved in the community. The Shelby County United Way is a member of the Shelby County Drug Free Coalition, Area Agency on Aging, Shelby County Community Service Council, Continuum of Care, and Family and Children First Council.

The 27 United Way funded programs and agencies are impacting the communities in the areas of Health, Education, and Income because of the ongoing support of the community. 35% of the campaign dollars came from corporate gifts with the remaining 65% from local individuals and families.   Shelby County is a special place to live because of the compassion towards our fellow citizens. On behalf of the Board of Trustees, I would like to thank all of our Donors, Campaign Leaders, Volunteers, and United Way Staff for your time and treasures. I look forward to an impactful 2015 where the Shelby County United Way can fulfill our mission “to continually identify, evaluate, and make possible the human services needed in our community.”


Respectfully,
Scott S. Barr
Executive Director
Shelby County United Way


 

 
Shelby County United Way - 232 S Ohio Ave - P.O. Box 751 - Sidney, OH 45365-0751
E-mail:
sbarr@shelbycounitedway.org